Well, some of you may not be interested in finding a publisher and others of you might want to find one. Either way, Instagram is an important social media network for growing your audience simply because it is another visual platform, and as I’ve noted before, the social web is a visual social web.
So using visual platforms, such as Instagram and Pinterest, and adding images to your posts on other platforms, is critical.
I read a post by Mashable some time ago, and this is what they had to say on this topic:
One thing is clear: A focus on visuals is dominating the social media landscape. Snapchat, Pinterest and Instagram all offer unique advantages and opportunities for promotion and engagement. Some authors pin book cover art for inspiration for their upcoming projects, or keep a virtual “quote book” on Pinterest; others target college-aged students with Snapchat stories … Running these types of contests is an excellent way to raise awareness about a book launch or start a conversation among readers around a specific plot point.
I think the above paragraph sums up the importance of visual platforms, including Instagram. Especially if you write young adult, new adult, middle grade, and books intended for the millennial demographic, Instagram is a must have in your social media marketing arsenal.
Even if you don’t write for those markets, visual marketing is as important as text-based marketing. So I encourage you to at least dabble in it. One benefit is that you can connect Instagram to your Facebook account so that when you post something on Instagram, it will immediately appear on Facebook without a glitch. (Don’t connect Instagram to Twitter; the posts on Twitter will look spammy.)
Instagram by the Numbers
Consider these statistics about Instagram.
- A majority of Instagram users visit the app every day. (Pew Research Center)
- 71% of 18 to 24-year-olds use Instagram. (Pew Research Center)
- 35% of U.S. adults now say they use this platform, an increase of seven percentage points from the 28% who said they did in 2016. (Pew Research Center)
- 35% of all U.S. adults who say they use the internet also use Instagram. (Pew Research Center)
- Instagram has 1 billion monthly active users (TechCrunch)